It’s time for my favorite end of the year activity…
I say that without sarcasm, actually! I enjoy the resolution-making part of the new year, and I like looking back on it, even though I know there are areas in which I will inevitably fall short.
But this year, I know there is at least one big thing I accomplished, so it’s perhaps with less trepidation that I return to my tradition of making this post.
Overall, this year was way better than 2021. I think it’s because I felt more settled — in my house, in my life. I had another baby and while it did upend our world, it was only in a good way. And it’s also because while I know the pandemic’s not over, we were able to do more this year with less fear. I’m hoping that’s a trajectory that only continues on an upward swing.
So without further ado, 2022 — how did I do?
- Enroll my daughter in preschool. I did this!
- Find a new therapist. I actually started talking to my old one regularly again!
- Stop mindlessly scrolling on social media. I definitely did this less, though I cannot say I stopped entirely.
- Exercise 6 days/week. Definitely didn’t always do this, especially in the later stages of pregnancy, but I did try.
- Finish the adult thriller. Lol no
- Finish another WIP. Lol no, but I did make progress on them all
- Draft something new. If a random notes app idea + a hastily scribbled first page count?
- Raise my freelance rates. I did do this, but have overall had to take a step back from searching for new work, and that’s fine.
- Hang things on the walls of my house. I did this! Not all the walls, but some.
- Text a friend every day. I can’t say I did this every day, but I tried.
- Don’t waste time arguing with people on the internet. I no longer argue with people on the internet and it is really nice, you should try it.
- Go outside every day. Mostly did this!
- Do something fun or surprising every week. We did this!
- Reacquaint myself with my DSLR. Nope.
- Post to this blog monthly! Nope.
- Journal weekly. I started to do this, then stopped again.
- Do one thing to improve my home every week. I did do this!
- Drink 10 glasses of water every day. Did this, am still doing it, thanks pregnancy and breastfeeding.
- Write 20 hours per week, for a goal of 1000 hours per year. I was on track until the newborn came along. Since then I’ve had to drastically reassess my expectations when it came to writing output. I think next year I’ll have to be less ambitious on writing hours if I don’t want to put my son in daycare, which I don’t right now.
- Do one act of self-care every day. Yeah, nope.
- Schedule more one on one time with my partner. Did not do this.
- And while this is out of my control, I’m putting it out there again: get a book deal. DONE 🙂
Not a bad year, overall, especially when you consider that the thing I didn’t put on my list, have a second child, was also a major accomplishment.
So! Good job, me. Now off to make my list for 2023…
Photo by zero take on Unsplash